新注册用户
搜索
查看: 33310|回复: 61

[项目新闻] [BOINC] [天文类] Cosmology@Home

[复制链接]
发表于 2007-8-23 09:59:37 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
http://www.cosmologyathome.org/

August 22, 2007

For those who can't wait until Beta begins, we have opened up registration for the current Alpha stage of Cosmology@Home. Registration through the boinc client is still disabled, so go to the account creation page for more information.

对于那些等不到Beta阶段开始的用户,我们已经开放了Alpha阶段的用户注册。通过BOINC客户端的注册仍被禁止,因此请访问帐号创建页面。

评分

参与人数 1基本分 +10 维基拼图 +5 收起 理由
霊烏路 空 + 10 + 5

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2007-9-21 22:08:29 | 显示全部楼层

September 18, 2007 New Website Design Is Up

The new website design is now up and running. Please post any bugs and other issues in the message boards. Some of you may be concerned that the website is too narrow, so we are working on an option to increase the width of the content window, which should be available soon.

新网站上线了,好看不少,缺省是窄页面的,可以自己在菜单里切换。

评分

参与人数 1基本分 +10 维基拼图 +4 收起 理由
霊烏路 空 + 10 + 4

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2007-10-27 21:01:12 | 显示全部楼层

October 26, 2007 Cosmology@Home Beta Testing

From this point on, Cosmology@Home is now in the beta testing phase! For more, read this thread on the message boards.

项目进入Beta测试阶段。

Hi everyone -

This is our first day of beta testing! Scott's heroic efforts to get the new code version 2.0 operational have are bearing fruit as I write this.

I just wanted to give my heartfelt thanks to everyone who has contributed so generously during our alpha testing phase:

- first of all to our loyal participants whose CPU cycles are already contributing to ground-breaking science;

- to Scott who has done a tremendous job taking this project through its alpha testing phase;

- to the NSF for providing the seed funding to get Cosmology@Home going;

- and to the members of my research group who have shared my enthusiasm for this new venture and who continue to do wonderful work.

I look forward to the next stage in Cosmology@Home!

Yours -

Ben

主要是致谢,期待尽早正式运行。

评分

霊烏路 空 + 10 + 5

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-11-1 15:10:02 | 显示全部楼层

[分享] Cosmology@Home 项目新闻

CAMB 2.04 has been released, which should fix the issues concerning checkpointing and constant restarting. Also, it seems to be obeying the client's commands now (e.g. suspend should actually suspend the selected application).

现在貌似有CHECKPOINT
不用担心从头再算,呵呵

评分

霊烏路 空 + 10 + 5

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-11-13 09:10:36 | 显示全部楼层
Cosmology@Home is currently down due to technical difficulties. We will be working around the clock to ensure that we're back up ASAP.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

评分

参与人数 1基本分 +10 收起 理由
霊烏路 空 + 10

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2007-11-15 10:40:03 | 显示全部楼层

November 14, 2007

We are back! We just recovered from a hardware failure which caused the downtime for the last few days. Cosmology@Home is back online, running on a new server. Once the old server is repaired we will have a fully redundant system, which will avoid downtime due to hardware failure. Since we already had a fully redundant disk setup none of the science data was lost. Everyone will get credit for the work they did. Please give us some time (a few days to a week) to sort through the credit issue. If some WU expired before you were able to upload the results we will have to intervene manually to make sure you get the credit you deserve. Happy crunching! We have some lost time to make up for!

我们回来了!过去几天因为硬件故障暂停了项目,现在项目运行在新服务器上。一旦旧服务器修好,将用作冗余系统,以后有类似的情况就不会中断项目的运行了。因为我们之前就已经配备了冗余磁盘,所以项目的科学数据都还在。所有用户完成的计算任务都会得到积分,但请给我们一些时间来处理。如果用户完成的计算任务因为项目暂停而无法及时上报,我们将手工操作以授予用户应得的积分。

评分

参与人数 1基本分 +20 维基拼图 +10 收起 理由
霊烏路 空 + 20 + 10

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2007-11-24 17:34:55 | 显示全部楼层
New Milestone!

Congratulations everyone: we have entered the top 10 most active BOINC projects in the world according to BOINCstats! This is with less than 3000 users world-wide. We are Project of the Month at BOINC Synergy. Plus our top team AMDUsers are running a week-long race on Cosmology@Home!

根据BOINCstats的统计我们已经是前十位最活跃的BOINC项目了!这还只是由于来自世界各地的3000名用户。我们也是BOINC Synergy的月度项目!

评分

参与人数 1基本分 +10 维基拼图 +6 收起 理由
霊烏路 空 + 10 + 6

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2007-12-4 19:46:55 | 显示全部楼层

December 3, 2007

Chad just submitted our first paper using results from Cosmology@Home. It will appear on the online astrophysics archive at astro-ph/0712.0194 and we will also submit it to the Astrophysical Journal. The paper describes Pico, a machine learning tool for cosmology. Pico is speed in a bottle. Pico extracts the essence of the quadrillions of CPU cycles of Cosmology@Home and enables other cosmologists to speed up their calculations by a factor of 250,000. You can have a sneak preview by clicking on papers on the new Pico homepage. You might like to have a look at the acknowledgement section at the end where we mention 5 crunchers from Cosmology@Home as representatives of all our users.

使用项目结果的第一篇论文已经提交。

http://arxiv.org/abs/0712.0194
http://cosmos.astro.uiuc.edu/pico

主要是关于pico,不太清楚具体是个啥,大致是说其它学者利用相关的成果可以大大加速某些相关的研究过程。

评分

参与人数 1基本分 +10 维基拼图 +6 收起 理由
霊烏路 空 + 10 + 6

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-3-18 15:01:07 | 显示全部楼层
@ 将新闻贴独立出来并补上前些时间的一些项目新闻,内容不太重要的就不翻译了。

December 10, 2007
It looks like the server is handing out work again. The problem was that the feeder was trying to hand out only the oldest work, which wouldn't allow the newer, faster machines to get anything. Now it should be up and running correctly.

December 16, 2007
We've made a small change to the work generator parameters which may affect the run-time of upcoming workunits. Don't be alarmed if WUs created after the 15th take a bit more or less to complete.

December 26, 2007
Cosmology@Home, as well as moderator JRenkar and user KSMarksPsych, was mentioned in this Chicago Tribune article, which ran yesterday. Great job to everybody and thanks for making Cosmology@Home a success!

January 18, 2008
On the coming Wednesday (1/23/2008), we will be performing some server maintenence at 5 PM CST (11 PM UTC). The server may be down for a period of a couple of hours, but I'll try to get it back up and running ASAP.

January 24, 2008
There have been a lot of problems caused by the move across servers, mostly caused by complications with apache and the BOINC client. I've spent most of my day working on a solution, which I will outline here.

January 24, 2008 Permanent URL
Note that between today and tomorrow, the site URL might change between "www.cosmologyathome.org" and "cosmologyathome.org", although they are more or less equivalent. Tomorrow night, it should stay permanently at the former one. Sorry for any confusion this may cause.

January 24, 2008 Update on the Server Situation
An update about the current server situation is here.

March 11, 2008 Upgrade To CAMB 2.11
If you are experiencing problems with CAMB 2.10 and below, abort those WUs and get the newest version of CAMB, 2.11

March 14, 2008 Fix for the output file errors released
CAMB 2.12 has been released and now correctly resolves the output filenames to prevent "cannot rename output file" errors.

2.12版本计算程序发布。

March 15, 2008 Server is back up
The server is back up after cleaning out the old versions of CAMB that are no longer being used.

对服务器进行了备份,在清除了一些不再会被使用的旧版本之后。

评分

霊烏路 空 + 10 + 5

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-3-19 12:01:07 | 显示全部楼层
March 18, 2008 Project Temporarily Suspended
We are suspending WU generation until the "Rombint" errors are solved and a new generator is up and running.

暂时停止生成新任务包,直到修复现有程序的错误。

评分

参与人数 1基本分 +10 维基拼图 +3 收起 理由
霊烏路 空 + 10 + 3

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-3-21 11:19:40 | 显示全部楼层
March 19, 2008 Project daemons back up and running
The project is now back up and running. The generator will be down for a bit until we run down the available WUs, but then the new generator will kick in.

恢复正常。

March 20, 2008 Canceling Old Workunits
It seems that the WUs in the queue right now will not run correctly, so we are going to cancel all of the current WUs and give credit to the WUs which have already been completed. Then, we will enable the new WU generator. Make sure to update your BOINC client so that you don't accidentally crunch WUs that have been canceled.

似乎旧的任务包都有问题,我们准备取消当前所有的任务包(已完成的用户还是能得到积分的),然后再启用新的任务包生成程序。请在客户端更新项目,以免计算那些已经被取消的任务包!

评分

参与人数 1基本分 +15 维基拼图 +7 收起 理由
霊烏路 空 + 15 + 7

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-4-6 12:36:34 | 显示全部楼层

April 5, 2008

We've been working on the server for the past week every day trying to get the server back to an acceptable state. However, the database has been extremely stubborn in going back to normal. We will continue to work on it *every day* until it's 100% right, so please don't think that we are unaware or or ignoring the problems.

上周每天我们都在努力试图让服务器恢复正常工作,但问题比较严重,还得再继续努力,请千万不要认为我们不知情或者无视现有的问题。

评分

霊烏路 空 + 10 + 5

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-4-6 12:41:42 | 显示全部楼层
4/5/08 @ 19:31 UTC - Message to Cosmology@Home Users

I want to say "thank you" to all of you who have waited, patiently or otherwise, for us to figure out the problems with the server. I also want to give a big "thank you" to the moderators, Jeff, Guy, and Jord (JRenkar, [bat] Tutta55, and Ageless), for sticking around and helping out on the message boards.

感谢大家。

Now, here's what you all need to understand about our project: we don't have tons of funding, racks of redundant hardware, and a full-time IT staff. Our project is run on a single server administrated by one full-time student, myself. As soon as I hear about a problem, I generally drop what I'm doing and work on it immediately. I can tell you that there have been days where I see a problem at 10 AM and immediately go to our server room (actually an office) and work on it for 8 hours straight, skipping all of my classes. However, since I am a full time student and this is my last semester, there is only so much time I can dedicate here. So while I can assure you that I spend all the time I can trying to fix problems and make improvements, some things are just going to take time to fix.

项目经费、维护力量都很有限。

I know that, as some point, we're going to have more staff, resources, and time to dedicate to Cosmology@Home. For now, though, we're all going to have to accept that, sometimes, the going will be slow. This is not due to laziness or lack of interest on our part; it's just a fact of life.

也许以后会有更多的人员及其它资源,但目前只能这样了。

Some of you may decide that you would rather crunch a larger project that has more resources available; that's fine and I certainly can't blame you. If I had sunk a ton of money a farm, I sure as hell would want to make sure it was running as efficiently as possible. However, if you have an interest in cosmology, like having direct contact with a real cosmology research group, and can stomach having to wait sometimes while we work at fixing issues, then we'd love for you to stick around.

也许你们会想转去一些更大的项目,我完全能够理解。但如果你们对宇宙学有兴趣,想要接触到真正的宇宙学研究小组,我们非常高兴你能继续运行我们的项目。

有足够重要的研究内容,能给参与者足够的反馈,嗯,这样的项目我喜欢。

评分

参与人数 1基本分 +20 维基拼图 +10 收起 理由
霊烏路 空 + 20 + 10

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-4-8 09:51:57 | 显示全部楼层
April 7, 2008
The scheduler will be down for a little while while we tool around with the database in order to fix the slow query issue.

调度服务器将停机一段时间,我们要调整数据库,以修复查询速度慢的问题。

April 7, 2008
Since CAMB sans lensing seems to be much, MUCH faster than CAMB with lensing, we're temporarily lowered the credit again to 50, which still is pretty high, just not ridiculous like it is now.

调低新任务包的积分,调整后还是比较高,只是不像调整前高得那么夸张。。。

April 7, 2008
We're finished with the database maintainence for now. Some more may be required tomorrow as well, if the database keeps acting up.

已完成了数据库维护,还有些工作可能要明天完成。

评分

参与人数 1基本分 +20 维基拼图 +8 收起 理由
霊烏路 空 + 20 + 8

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-4-11 21:24:56 | 显示全部楼层
嗯,BOINC提示这个项目在运行,但在其他平台上
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 新注册用户

本版积分规则

论坛官方淘宝店开业啦~

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|中国分布式计算总站 ( 沪ICP备05042587号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-18 18:14