找回密码
 新注册用户
搜索
查看: 5926|回复: 7

《华尔街日报》发表了一篇批评SETI项目的文章

[复制链接]
发表于 2006-6-30 11:21:01 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
http://online.wsj.com/public/art ... 0628.html?mod=blogs

How Many Computers Does It Take to Make Contact with E.T.s?

June 28, 2006; Page B1

Maybe the easiest thing would be to blame the Germans.

Without their dedication to science, Chris Benoit would never have started Seti.USA. And absent that, one of the computer world's least-known but most powerful monopolies might not still exist. Yes, it's true that even without the Seti@Home crowd bigfooting the world of distributed computing, we probably still would have incurable diseases and dangerous climate change. But we'd be a lot closer to solutions than we are now, don't you think?

We should back up in our story a bit.

In the late 1990s, David P. Anderson, a University of California, Berkeley, computer scientist, realized that with the global Internet connecting millions of often-idle computers, the time had come for "distributed computing." This takes one big scientific computer problem and breaks it into little pieces, to be farmed out to many machines.

After Dr. Anderson wrote his software, he needed a problem for the machines to tackle. He chose SETI, the "search for extra-terrestrial intelligence." His Seti@Home would pore through the data from the Arecibo radio telescope looking for blips that might indicate intelligent life.

To make things interesting, there was added a scoring system, which awarded points to users for the computer time they donated, and allowed them to compete to see who could rack up the most. The credits are good only for bragging rights but would become a potent motivator. In fact, with finding E.T. such a long shot, the competition for points quickly became a main reason for taking part.

Dr. Anderson's real interest was distributed computing; the extraterrestrial angle was something of an attention-getting gimmick. But it was a spectacular success. Nearly a million downloaded the software that enabled their computers to analyze the Arecibo data. And it worked brilliantly.

And so other researchers -- biologists looking into proteins implicated in Alzheimer's, say, or physicists exploring fine points in relativity -- all began lining up at Dr. Anderson's Web site, boinc.berkeley.edu, seeking help for their own projects.

There was a problem, though: Seti@Homers didn't want to switch their allegiance. Hundreds of thousands keep running the SETI software -- far more than any other distributed-computing project. What was supposed to be a test case became a powerful entrenched interest. Today, Seti@Home is to distributed computing what AARP is to social-security reform.

A big reason for the inertia turned out to be the points, which users had spent years accumulating. As with frequent-flier miles, they didn't want to lose them by switching.

This is where the Germans come in. Early on, they had formed a team, Seti.Germany, which dominated the results, even though more Americans participated. That rankled Chris Benoit, a Chicago health-care worker. "Hey, we're America, and we've always accomplished great things," he recalls thinking.

Thus was born Seti.USA, which quickly began outpacing the Germans. But a consequence is that now, with national rivalries mixed in, there was even less chance of anyone doing anything besides Seti@Home.

Seti.USA members take this competition very seriously, so much so that they will buy more computers in search of points. Daniel T. Schaalma, of Fond du Lac, Wis., a former machinist, has 23 in his house, mostly scattered across banquet tables in his basement. "I've probably spent in excess of $20,000 on them over the years," he says. "It's basically a hobby for me. Yeah, it's expensive, but golf can get pretty expensive, too."

Team.USA members say it's all friendly competition and good, clean, scientific fun -- Mr. Benoit was even once named "Member of the Month" of the German team.

Maybe, but there have been wars started over soccer.

This continued fascination with living-room SETI comes as professional setiologists concede that early assumptions about the search for intelligent life -- notably those popularized by astronomer Carl Sagan -- have proven naively optimistic.

For instance, it's now conceded there is little chance of detecting the "leaking" transmissions of another planet -- its version of "I Love Lucy" broadcasts. Those signals are too weak to stand out from the universe's background noise.

Dr. Anderson says he himself doesn't run Seti any more. Instead, he donates his spare computer power to a global warming project. But he doesn't presume to tell others what they ought to be doing with their CPU cycles.

Scientists, including those who would benefit from the freed-up computers, are similarly tolerant. "It's hard for me to criticize their choice," said one.

This columnist, though, knows no such compulsion. I asked Mr. Benoit: With polar ice caps melting, doesn't someone who continues to use their computer for manifestly less timely problems surely have water on their hands?

He replied, "You're really putting me in a corner, aren't you?"
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2006-6-30 11:22:48 | 显示全部楼层
Slashdot也进行了相关的报导和讨论:

Is SETI@home Where Your Cycles Belong?
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2006-6-30 13:32:57 | 显示全部楼层
For instance, it's now conceded there is little chance of detecting the "leaking" transmissions of another planet -- its version of "I Love Lucy" broadcasts. Those signals are too weak to stand out from the universe's background noise.

是不是说SETI做了无用功?
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2006-6-30 22:58:13 | 显示全部楼层
嗯...大致的看了一下 这篇评论
原始内容还是看一楼原文为准
以下是我理解原评论的部份:
当初是为了软体实验分散式运算   所以刚好找了SETI 这计划 来展开实验这庞大的分散式运算计划,并提供积分方式来
当初计划一开始 SETI  较多的运算结果是 Seti.Germany 这团队运算出来的
后来可能老美面子挂不住,成立 Seti.USA  努力推广...而后努力超越 其运算结果
某位说...这些年花在SETI的钱大约超过两万美金吧(NT:68万;RMB:8万多吧) 大约23部机器摆在地下室大桌的空间内运算 而这对它而言 算是个昂贵的嗜好,跟高尔夫球的运动花费差不多.
以上那段是说  
侦测其它智慧星球的传输逸散讯号 计划代号"I Love Lucy"  不过这些讯号太弱 很难在宇宙的背景中分析出来 --- 回应楼上大大在问的
后面几段原文...算是一些个人想法与见解
回复

使用道具 举报

头像被屏蔽
发表于 2006-7-4 09:54:28 | 显示全部楼层
提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2006-7-5 09:16:30 | 显示全部楼层
谁翻译一下原文
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2006-7-11 11:03:19 | 显示全部楼层
没看太懂,可以翻译一下么?
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2006-7-11 19:31:52 | 显示全部楼层
批评也确实要接受的
SETI是很早发起的,相比较其他项目,成果可谓寥寥无几

不过,外星人这事情,从宏观的角度看,是发展一定阶段必然出现,但不能因此否定现在的努力
SO,同志们加油算吧,历史会证明,你的计算有可能让人类的宇宙时代提前那么几秒,嗯,几秒。积秒成年,聚年成千
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 新注册用户

本版积分规则

论坛官方淘宝店开业啦~
欢迎大家多多支持基金会~

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|中国分布式计算总站 ( 沪ICP备05042587号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-31 04:27